Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Real Food Kitchen Tour: Oh Lardy!


A warm welcome Project365(3) Day 10


Welcome to another edition of the Real Food Kitchen Tour. This week, we travel to Phoenix, Arizona to tour the kitchen of Kelly Liston of Oh Lardy!


What’s a Real Foodie?


A “real foodie” is someone who cooks “traditional” food. We cook stuff from scratch using real ingredients, like raw milk, grass-fed beef, eggs from chickens that run around outdoors, whole grains, sourdough and yogurt starters, mineral-rich sea salt, and natural sweeteners like honey and real maple syrup.


We don’t use modern foods that are either fake, super-refined, or denatured. This includes modern vegetable oils like Crisco and margarine, soy milk, meat from factory farms, pasteurized milk from cows eating corn and soybeans, refined white flour, factory-made sweeteners like HFCS or even refined white sugar, or commercial yeast.


We believe in eating wholesome, nutrient-dense foods that come from nature. So we shop at farmer’s markets or buy direct from the farmer, or we grow food in our own backyards.


This Week’s Real Food Kitchen Tour: Oh Lardy!


Family Photo taken March 2012 by Jamie Peachy Photography.


Kelly is a wife, mother, photographer, blogger and real food advocate/educator. She lives in Phoenix, AZ and is passionate about real food, health, and wellness. She keeps chickens, frequents local farmers markets, and scours Phoenix for the best food possible for her growing family!


She writes over at Oh Lardy! about a variety of real food topics and she really enjoys spreading the good word about real food.


Blog Name: Oh Lardy!

Blog Author: Kelly Liston

Location: Phoenix, AZ

How Long Blogging: 5 months for Oh Lardy, but I have been blogging personally since 2008.

House or Apartment: House

Size of Kitchen: 9 1/2 feet x 17 1/2 feet

Things You Love About Your Kitchen: I love how our kitchen is open to both the family room and the dining room. With such a big space in our kitchen, friends and family can gather in there and it doesn’t seem crowded.

Things You Would Change: I would love to get rid of what my husband and I so lovingly call, “The Corner of Death.” In the above photo, you see me standing in it. This is the corner of the kitchen where the stove, sink, prep space, silverware drawer and dishes cupboard reside. As you can imagine, when we are both helping with dinner the Corner of Death threatens to swallow up both of us! I would also like more storage and usable space. Right now, my kitchen is an L shape and the other side of my kitchen is just a countertop, with no storage underneath. It would be great to utilize the other side of our kitchen as well.

Favorite Tools & Gadgets: I just got a fermenting crock for Christmas and I am really excited about that! I also really enjoy the versatility of my dehydrator. Mason jars, good old wooden spoons, and our Le Creuset cookware help me with every day cooking.

Current Family Favorite Meal: This one is tough! Lately, I have gotten raves about Patty Melts and Slow Cooker Spaghetti and Meatballs. Breakfast for Dinner complete with bacon, hash browns, and runny eggs is ALWAYS a favorite.

Favorite Cookbooks: “Nourishing Traditions” by Sally Fallon is a fantastic resource. My husband has always loved “How to Cook Everything” by Mark Bittman. Lately I have been enjoying “Super Natural Every Day” by Heidi Swanson.


Kelly’s Kitchen


The “Corner of Death.” This also happens to be the location of the fermenting crock, toaster, ledge for frequently used spices and also becomes the dumping ground for any fruit we keep on the countertop.


Our stove and oven, some recent ferments, as well as tools and knives.


In this cupboard I can find my smaller Le Creuset pots, mixing bowls, salad bowls, bread pans, food mill, food scale, mason jars, casserole dishes, pasta pot, food processor, the Bosch mixer/blender, and a cheese grater!


Since I have no available counter space in my kitchen, my kombucha scoby and jar had to move into the dining room. I think they are happy there.


The fridge! Currently, I have a few tasty things in here! Homemade jam, homemade enchilada sauce, whey, leftovers, dates, eggs from our backyard, orange juice, a teeny bit of kombucha tea, fermented cranberry relish, Bubbies pickles, cream, cheeses, and veggies!


My fridge is a french door style, so I have some good storage in the doors. On this side I keep Peanut Butter and Jelly, essential oils, fermented cod liver oil, maple syrup, homemade mayo, some wine apparently, and my oldest son’s favorite condiment – Louisiana Hot Sauce.


And the other side has our Raw Milk, ketchup, Bubbies pickle relish, homemade chocolate sauce, and some mustard.


Thanks for stopping by my kitchen! I hope you enjoyed yourself.


Check Out the Previous Real Food Kitchen Tour Posts





Let Us Tour Your Kitchen


Are you a real foodie? Do you have a kitchen that you’d like to see featured on CHEESESLAVE?


Please email me at Questions AT realfoodmedia dot com. Either send me a link to a Flickr set or email me your photos (minimum of 5, but more is better). Note: Please send me LARGE photos. Minimum 610 width. If they’re too small, I can’t use them.


Oh, and please send the answers to the above questions (at the very top of this post).


As much as I’d love to include all the photos I receive, I can’t guarantee that I will use your photos in the series. I’m looking for creative, good quality photos.


Some ideas for photos:



  • Show us what’s in your fridge or what’s fermenting on your counter

  • Take some snaps of some of your favorite kitchen gadgets, or show us how you organize your spices

  • Got backyard chickens? Send some pics!

  • How about a lovely herb garden?

  • Kids or pets are always cute!

  • Try to include at least one photo of yourself, ideally in your kitchen


And no, you don’t have to have a blog to be included in the tour.


Photo credit: A warm welcome Project365(3) Day 10 by Keith Williamson, on Flickr and photos by Memories by Michelle

Disclosure: cmp.ly/4 and cmp.ly/5


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...


Source:


http://www.cheeseslave.com/real-food-kitchen-tour-oh-lardy/






The News from http://classy-kelly.blogspot.com